Monday, August 13, 2007

More sanding down of the body

The next step we took this past week or two more sanding. I completed what needs to be sanded down on the car. The orange that you still see are places that can't be fixed with simple filler or little sheet metal, so we aren't bothering with sanding that part down, because it will have to be replaced. We are replacing the front fender patch by the wheel and then working our way back to the 1/4 panels, which will be fun... I don't know if you can tell by the pictures but the passenger side fender looks to have been in a collision. It had bondo caked in the dents. My dad and I pulled out the fender and rounded it back off. It appears whoever had the car before didn't even try to pull the dent out but just fill it. The next thing for this fender besides the patch replacement will be to apply liquid metal to make the fender smooth with curves again.






The passenger door is in good shape and won't need much work. We are almost cosmetically done with the body back to the doors. I know what you might be thinking, "Where are the door handles?" And No we are not welding the doors shut, although we do like the slick look of the car without the handles. We will leave them off and install an electric kit and with a push of a button the door(s) will open. We had seen this custom job on an old Ford Roadster and liked the idea.
The inside of the engine well is sandblasted as we are going to apply black paint to protect from rusting and then we're ready to drop an engine in there. Well that is when we get an engine.



Small parts of the frame have been blasted around the grille. Sandblasting is something that I will be working on for a while with Rusty. The grille is my favorite part of the car. I will be repainting it flat black while cleaning all of the chrome around the area. The middle part of the chrome (the I piece) will be installed later. The one that is on the car now is dented and torn. I would run right out to get another one but they are around $150. It is something that can wait for now. I'll post new grille pictures once I complete a little more.



No comments: