Monday, April 14, 2008

Back in Action






As the sun broke through the clouds I was presented with the choice to sit and enjoy decent whether or work on Rusty in a garage full of dust and particles.... I didn't even have to think about what I was going to do. As my father and I pushed Rusty into full working position I grabbed the camera and went into more before pictures. The area of work today is the dutchman panel (deck pan between back window and trunk). After the cutting wheel took a poop I traveled down to Menards to get some wheels and a new bit. After THREE trips to Menards in a span of 20 minutes we were ready to open Rusty back up. (Luckily Rusty is located within a couple miles of Menards!!!!!)

After following Mopar Muscle's photo instructions we removed the panel. From the line that existed in the under pan we knew water had a home for some time. After pounding around the metal pan we were lucky to have strong metal to work with. High Five to the factory metal suppliers!!

We left 1/4 inch of metal on the sides where the side panel met the dutchman panel. We found the spot welds and knocked them loose to extract the final metal from the area. After placing the new piece of panel in we set it aside. Sadly, time had run out for the night.

Next line of duty will be sandblasting this underpan to get the foundation ready for the new piece.

No comments: