Friday, April 8, 2011

Restoring Charger Grill Emblem



















First thing... I'm not a professional and yes it is my first emblem restoration. Is it show quality, nope... Is it more colorful? Yup... I believe I lost the Charger arrow in the fire. I can't seem to find it. So, I got this original emblem in the 68 Charger deal. The emblem was off a 69 R/T. If you read my older posts you already know that story... I was just going to keep this on the shelf, but I might as well use it... right?

I first gave the emblem a bath. Cleaned with a brush, dried well. I then used paint thinner to get off what I could. Then I began to shake the paint... vigorously!!! When I researched it, it said to get that paint mixed and thin as can be. I bought the five pack of brushes (1.99 at Kmart). I bought model paint, flat red and flat black. Why these colors? Cause I liked them when comparing others side by side.

The red wasn't too bad to get done. I simply dipped the brush and let it slide onto the surface. The idea is to let the paint fuse together.. no paint strokes needed.

The black edge called for the smallest, sharpest brush I had. This was a bit more nerve racking. Again, I let the paint fuse together. I did make a couple small errors.. See them? On the "R".. I will clean that tomorrow when dry. I couldn't get it today while wet, and I was afraid I would mess it ALL up! Can't wait to get this on the grill.



No comments: