Monday, October 15, 2007

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the engine.

My addiction to the Internet has resulted in another unexpected purchase for Rusty. Something I wasn’t really looking for but for some reason kept typing it in Craigslist ( online classifieds). I would type in the numbers 383 big block MOPAR. After probably two months of just monitor shopping these engines going for a couple thousand dollars I came upon this listing that was intriguing - 1968 Dodge 383 engine with 727 tourque flight tranny $350 - At first I thought it was just the block itself, but I emailed the guy who said it was a running engine but blew oil and has been sitting for 6 years. Also the tranny would need a rebuild. I was excited about the opportunity and called my dad to see if this is something we could do. He shot the idea down at first and I emailed the guy back and told him to forget it. An hour later my dad called back and said to offer him $300. Therefore I had to email the guy back and try and make a deal. He accepted the offer and two days later we were off to Constantine to pick up Rusty’s future engine. I’m always one for road trips, so I was very excited. It took us about an hour and a half to get there. We had no problems getting it or bringing it back. The 383 is now resting in my garage as we will slowly begin that part of the restoration later. I know in the end I will have to put some money in this engine, but I chose this route instead of buying a read-to-drop-in-engine for the simple fact that I wouldn’t learn anything about engines if I did that. Plus I think I will appreciate it more when I can say that I helped re-build the engine. Onward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments: