Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How's the tail?




As soon as we finished around the window it didn't take too long to start planning the next surgery. For now the trunk lid will wait, we moved on to the second best part of this car for me, the taillights. Looking around this area we knew we'd have to find the spot welds and drill them out. The grinder was back at work and revealed the factory weld spots. After the second spot weld I thought my arm was going to fall off, but all whining aside I kept going. I'm guessing I drilled around 30 spot welds or so. We had to be careful not to damage the brackets that held the taillight panel in place with the trunk floor. These can range from 60 - 100 dollars brand new. Mine were not rusted at all, so why not save a buck or two right? Since we are replacing the bottom valance as well we just cut off as much as we could without destroying the structure and brackets. She looks bare from behind now, but it's got to get worse before it gets better.

No comments: